One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of crustacean limbs and antennae) dividing to form two branches.
- ‘The anteriormost five abdominal appendages are, almost without exception, biramous.’
- ‘An answer lies, he says, in the origin and modification of the ancestral biramous limb.’
- ‘My biramous appendages are quivering, Mr. President.’
- ‘About ten limbs appear to have been present, which may have been biramous.’
- ‘The appendages are primitively branched, and although this condition is modified in many species, adults always have at least some biramous appendages.’
Late 19th century: from bi- ‘two’+ ramus + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.