Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A two-legged stand or support.
- ‘Many sporting rifles today are set up with bipods, like the excellent Harris models, and actually a front bipod can be used in place of the pedestal rest to a certain extent.’
- ‘It had the folded bipods, and a sleek shiny black scope, and it had foldable butt.’
- ‘Today, bipods are available in a variety of designs to fit any hunting style.’
- ‘The weapons - which have the barrel supported by a bipod - are a modified version of the standard-issue SA80 infantry rifle.’
- ‘We found the Versa-Pod to be more flexible than ‘fixed’ type bipods because its ability to pivot slightly enables the shooter to accommodate for irregularities in the ground.’
- ‘‘We've got something new in virtually every category,’ Thompson said, from gun cases and bipods to hearing protection and knives.’
- ‘I unfolded the bipods of my new sniper rifle, set it in place, and aimed it right at the door.’
- ‘It has an integral bipod and the capability for tripod, helicopter or vehicle mounting.’
- ‘It also required a high-tension mount tripod that would allow the bulk of the weapon to swing freely, and not rip off its base, like a standard bipod would, and Thomas had one of those, as well.’
- ‘These accessories include bipods, swivel and slings, gun cases, cleaning products, rangefinders, spotting scopes, knives, game calls, flashlights, gloves, hats, etc.’
- ‘After all, how many camera bipods have you seen?’
- ‘For versatile hunting bipods, look to Stoney Point.’
- ‘With bipod, optics and magazine, our system tips the scale at 15 3/4 pounds, not out of line when compared to other sniper rifles on the market.’
- ‘As with other bipods, check point of impact under the conditions you expect to encounter.’
- ‘Each country has a .30 calibre machine gun with a bipod.’
- ‘When on a bipod, or tripod, it has a more limited range of motion, because the operator would have to move their body to adjust the angle, this makes the transitions slower than they could be.’
- ‘Then I opened up my bipods, stuck the barrel through, and got comfortable.’
- ‘If the game isn't aware you are present there is generally time to make preparations - to slip into a shooting sling, extend a bipod, find a tree or rock - to do whatever is needed to get steady.’
- ‘Air Force makes a whole host of add-on accessories including scopes, lights, lasers, bipods, night vision equipment and other sighting devices.’
- ‘Dealers can spur sales with ammunition, stocks, recoil pads, optics, slings, carrying cases, hearing and eye protection, range bags, shooting benches, bipods, targets and other accessories.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.