The alteration of a substance, such as a drug, within the body.
- ‘However during this biotransformation process, generation of reactive metabolites might result in toxicity and liver cell damage.’
- ‘No evidence for biotransformation of the supplemented fatty acids into other fatty acids by the algae was found.’
- ‘Biological processes are primarily biotransformation, biodegradation, and bioaccumulation.’
- ‘Altering the metabolism of and biotransformation processes for serotonin may be an important feature for the treatment of depression.’
- ‘It is unlikely to be a direct effect and is probably a result of biotransformation of the drug in the lung to reactive metabolites and/or oxygen species that damage lung cells.’
- ‘Rasayana is thought to improve metabolic processes, which results in the best possible biotransformation and produce the best-quality bodily tissues and eradicates senility and other diseases of old age.’
- ‘Medication clearance and excretion occur by two major mechanisms: hepatic metabolism or biotransformation and renal excretion.’
- ‘Correlated with these hormone level differences between highly contaminated and reference sites were changes in activity of liver enzymes involved in androgen biotransformation.’
- ‘Other recognized factors leading to medication allergy are pre-existing allergies and presence of diseases that interfere with medication biotransformation and excretion.’
- ‘In this process, which is a type of biotransformation, our bodies use certain enzymes to get the job done.’
- ‘The levels of exposure to these agents are generally low and long-lasting, with a possibility of bioaccumulation and biotransformation, putting the integrity of the environment and human health at risk.’
- ‘The lung is a target for toxicity because of its biotransformation pathways and/or pulmonary drug accumulation.’
- ‘Differences in placental membranes, placental transport and biotransformation all affect fetal exposure.’
- ‘Hepatic metabolism occurs through one of two biotransformation systems.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.