Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A vitamin of the B complex, found in egg yolk, liver, and yeast. It is involved in the synthesis of fatty acids and glucose.Also called vitamin H
- ‘After antigen retrieval, endogenous biotin was blocked using the Biotin Blocking System (Dako Corporation, Carpinteria, Calif).’
- ‘Folic acid, biotin, and choline also belong to the B group but do not have numbers.’
- ‘As with many vitamins pantothenic acid and biotin are little known but pantothenic acid is used in the breakdown of carbohydrates, lipids and some amino acids.’
- ‘Eat plenty of protein and biotin which can be found in meats, fish, milk, and eggs.’
- ‘Calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, copper, and biotin are nutrients that are required to ensure proper bone and foot development and maintenance.’
- ‘Besides, biotin is found in milk, liver, eggs and other foods allowed on low-carb diets.’
- ‘Interaction has been measured in this way for ligand-receptor pairs of biotin and avidin, complementary DNA pairs, and antigen-antibody pairs.’
- ‘Another feed may list 12 percent crude protein, 7 percent crude fat, and lysine, methionine, biotin, vitamin E and thiamin levels on the tag.’
- ‘On the other hand, there are examples of algae that require other vitamins like thiamine and biotin.’
- ‘Supplements should not have any biotin or pantothenic acid.’
- ‘Vitamins C, B, folate, pantothenic acid and biotin are easily passed by the body and so need to be included in the daily diet.’
- ‘For instance, when Abbott and his colleagues attached a receptor called biotin to the lipids, the sensor detected a bacterial protein that binds to biotin.’
- ‘You can get biotin from liver, sardines, soy, whole grains, nuts and beans.’
- ‘In addition to histidine and biotin, the top agar contained minimal tryptophan to support E.coli growth.’
- ‘Examples include fluorescently labeled biotin and three proteins of varying molecular weight.’
- ‘For years some doctors and nutritionists have touted biotin, a B-complex vitamin, for treating dry skin and brittle hair and nails.’
- ‘They're also a great source of iron, magnesium, copper, zinc and biotin - a B vitamin that helps you metabolize sugar and fat for better energy production.’
- ‘The company says the antioxidant vitamin, along with biotin can help slow or delay aging of the skin and help maintain metabolism.’
- ‘The mixture was later solidified by means of a surface agar solution containing traces of histidine and biotin.’
- ‘The vitamin B complex consists of B1, B2, B6, pantothenic acid, biotin and folic acid.’
1930s: coined in German from Greek bios life + -in.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.