Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The animal and plant life of a particular region, habitat, or geological period.‘the biota of the river’
- ‘Species introduced to control one pest have driven other native biota to extinction.’
- ‘Congruence is interpreted to mean that a widespread ancestral biota was fragmented by a series of successive vicariant events.’
- ‘Moreover, they are homogenizing the earth's biota, leading to biodiversity losses and changes in ecosystems.’
- ‘And if you're looking at biota and you're thinking of the environment, you're more likely to do that maybe.’
- ‘And if that's the case, perhaps there's a whole biota, a whole subsurface biota, that we have yet to discover.’
- ‘In the end, the sustainability of the aquaculture industry will benefit from a description of the gastrointestinal biota of aquatic organisms.’
- ‘These two factors will influence the spectral dose of UV radiation received by covered biota.’
- ‘Roots may also be closely associated with other organisms, such as soil biota or symbionts, and differ in their degree of lignification.’
- ‘And then there are those who don't care about the impacts on native biota, the fundamental ecosystem providers to life on Earth.’
- ‘These creatures were a fully alien biota, and it is time to confess: I am a neophile, an inordinate lover of the new, of diversity for its own sake.’
- ‘This negatively affects them, resulting in reduced recruitment, reduced food availability, and lower survival of indigenous biota.’
- ‘The river has its own regulatory adjustments and its own dependent biota.’
- ‘Most clades expand from the larger, more diverse biota.’
- ‘Accurate descriptions of such patterns can be informative of past vicariant events that have had an impact on the evolution of diverse biota.’
- ‘Because of the fragility of the island's biota, access to the islands is tightly regulated, and most tourist expeditions only stay for three or four days.’
- ‘There is little question that the uniqueness of the habitat and biota was greater before the causeway was built.’
- ‘As much as 73 percent of the island's original biota (flora and fauna) has been extirpated.’
- ‘Homeostasis arises as a natural consequence of biota - environment interactions.’
- ‘The Macaronesian flora has traditionally been suggested to represent the relictual fragment of a subtropical Tertiary plant biota once widespread in Europe and northern Africa.’
- ‘Much is now known about the stratigraphy and palaeobiogeography of this biota through current interest in the definition of the base of the Cambrian System.’
Early 20th century: modern Latin, from Greek biotē life.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.