Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The production of complex molecules within living organisms or cells.
- ‘Floral senescence in many species is regulated by ethylene biosynthesis.’
- ‘Mutants affected in cellulose biosynthesis have been identified in vascular plants.’
- ‘In the whole plant, multicellular compartmentation is required for alkaloid biosynthesis.’
- ‘All previous theoretical analyses of metabolic costs of lignin biosynthesis used glucose as substrate.’
- ‘It should be mentioned that there is no evidence for disturbed chlorophyll biosynthesis in the mutant.’
- ‘However, enzymes for their biosynthesis are found in both cell types.’
- ‘Bacterial growth is directly linked to the capacity of the cells for protein biosynthesis.’
- ‘Metabolic pathways involved in starch biosynthesis are different between source and sink tissues.’
- ‘In this mutant, a protein is inactivated which plays a key role during the negative feedback control of chlorophyll biosynthesis.’
- ‘In this pathway it is well known that biosynthesis is subject to both positive and negative feedback regulation.’
- ‘In higher plants, the pathways of chlorophyll and haem biosynthesis are tightly regulated at an early step.’
- ‘Roma might reflect a more or less continuous biosynthesis of new cell wall material.’
- ‘However, fewer hormone biosynthesis or action mutants are known which exhibit greater than normal growth.’
- ‘Cysteine biosynthesis is modified by regulators acting at the site of uptake and throughout the plant system.’
- ‘The biochemistry of carotenoid biosynthesis has been well established.’
- ‘This can only be realized if the rate of ethylene biosynthesis is regulated by submergence-induced signals.’
- ‘In vivo, the repression of genes involved in starch biosynthesis has been reported to block pollen development.’
- ‘Coordination of reproduction and yolk biosynthesis is achieved via the endocrine system.’
- ‘Adequate measures were taken to protect the plants from biotic and abiotic stresses that may influence lignin biosynthesis.’
- ‘This is an essential metabolic reaction that precedes the sucrose biosynthesis in the cytosol.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.