Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Organic matter recycled from sewage, especially for use in agriculture.
- ‘Brown and her colleagues added biosolids - the polite term for byproducts of treated sewage that are blended into fertilizers - to lead-tainted soil from a home garden in Baltimore.’
- ‘The use of biosolids as fertilizer also is coming under the regulatory scope.’
- ‘Scientists claim the sewage - relabelled as biosolids - is a safe and effective method of both improving soil quality and disposing of a troublesome waste product.’
- ‘For additional information on plant nutrient needs or the application of biosolids, contact your local OSU Agriculture / Natural Resources Extension agent.’
- ‘Ever since, biosolids have been shipped to Medicine Hat at a cost of about $1,000 per day, he said.’
- ‘Industry groups like to call it biosolids, but it is sewage sludge.’
- ‘After a third of the water is removed, the biosolids left are called cakes (yum).’
- ‘An important alternative to fertiliser from fossil fuel is biosolids recovered from sewage.’
- ‘The amount of ammonium nitrogen available will vary greatly depending on temperature and whether or not the biosolids are incorporated.’
- ‘Applications of biosolids to agricultural land will rarely exceed 5 dry tons per acre per year.’
- ‘The biosolids coordinator with the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, says Class B sludge is safe when properly applied.’
- ‘The OEPA limits application of biosolids to crop land with a pH of 5.5 or greater (accurate at the time of printing).’
- ‘Or, if they can, it's made from biosolids, and you definitely don't want to mess around with that stuff in a vineyard or orchard.’
- ‘So again, there are a lot of opportunities for reusing these biosolids.’
- ‘Waste generating facilities must follow the guidelines set by the OEPA to apply biosolids to crop land.’
- ‘Not only are biosolids and manure low-cost soil amendments, but their use provides important means of recycling wastes.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.