Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An examination of tissue removed from a living body to discover the presence, cause, or extent of a disease.
- ‘Surgical biopsies of paraffin-embedded lung tissue, if available, were reviewed by a lung pathologist.’
- ‘An alternative approach is cryopreservation of slices or biopsies of ovarian tissue, which contain many thousands of immature oocytes.’
- ‘In these cases, mistakes frequently are made during examination of endoscopic biopsies.’
- ‘The patient would probably benefit from doing transbronchial biopsies with the lavage if that is the prime consideration.’
- ‘Furthermore, endoscopic biopsies may not be sufficient to make the diagnosis, often requiring a surgical resection.’
- ‘After blood tests and a biopsy, Coeliac disease was confirmed and he was told to give up gluten.’
- ‘In addition, later biopsies may show disease progression or regression.’
- ‘Clearly blood tests, radiography, biopsies, and other technology based evaluations qualify.’
- ‘While awaiting an appointment for the result of the biopsies, the patient discovered she was pregnant.’
- ‘Microscopic examination of the gastric biopsies revealed the presence of cellular infiltrate in the mucosa and submucosa.’
- ‘Finally, all women underwent thorough colposcopic examination, including directed biopsies.’
- ‘The blandness of the spindle cells was so impressive as to dissuade us from a malignant diagnosis on preoperative biopsies.’
- ‘It is still unknown to what extent bronchial biopsies capture pathology at this more peripheral location.’
- ‘Among the available follow-up surgical biopsies, no malignant diagnoses were made.’
- ‘A tentative diagnosis of rabies was made on a biopsy and confirmed at autopsy.’
- ‘We examined only cervical biopsies in this study, and the results obtained may not be generalizable to other biopsy types.’
- ‘Despite this second assessment, there were still no subtle features of coeliac disease on the initial biopsy.’
- ‘Colonoscopy is preferable to a barium enema because it allows for the biopsy and removal of lesions.’
- ‘Ultrasound examination and core biopsies confirm the diagnosis.’
- ‘For example, invasive procedures such as needle biopsies are guided by ultrasound images.’
Late 19th century: coined in French from Greek bios life + opsis sight on the pattern of necropsy.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.