One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The biochemical emission of light by living organisms such as fireflies and deep-sea fishes.
- ‘The relatively large shear forces that stimulate dinoflagellate bioluminescence are higher than typical levels of oceanic turbulence.’
- ‘In light of their special adaptations related to bioluminescence, buoyancy, crypsis, feeding, intelligence, speed, and vision, they are generally considered to be among the most highly evolved marine invertebrates.’
- ‘This is because some species are capable of bioluminescence, in which chemicals made by the organism produce light in a chemical reaction.’
- ‘This new technology, an imaging method known as in vivo bioluminescence, enables investigators to track changes in the viral population in the same animal day after day.’
- ‘How do flows trigger physiological responses such as bioluminescence in organisms, or changes in growth rate, nutrient uptake, and cell structure?’
- ‘New hatchlings, which instinctively head toward the brightest spot on the horizon, confuse urban lights with the ocean's reflection of moonlight, starlight and bioluminescence in the water.’
- ‘The luminescence was quantified in live cells using bioluminescence imaging.’
- ‘Chemistry and biophysics of bioluminescence.’
- ‘You can find more books, videos, and software about deep sea life, marine biology, and bioluminescence at the web site above.’
- ‘The chemiluminescent reactions found in living organisms are called bioluminescence.’
- ‘It is possible that fluorescence in these medusae represents a daylight functional analog of bioluminescence (similar to ‘blanching’ in comb jellies ).’
- ‘Ultimately he entered the field experimentally with a study on the pseudoflash with J. W. Hastings, soon to attain prominence in the molecular biology of bioluminescence and circadian biology.’
- ‘While it is evident why certain organisms display bioluminescence, some organisms such as mushrooms glow for unknown reasons.’
- ‘We are cautioned against confusing bioluminescence with fluorescence and phosphorescence.’
- ‘Rapid control of wound infections by targeted photodynamic therapy monitored by in vivo bioluminescence imaging’
- ‘Some species are capable of producing their own light through bioluminescence, which also makes fireflies glow.’
- ‘Scientists also have not identified the internal pathways or mechanisms in the organisms that trigger physiological responses to flow, such as bioluminescence and changes in growth rate, nutrient uptake, and structure.’
- ‘Dinoflagellate bioluminescence differs biochemically from that of other major luminescent groups.’
- ‘Most studies that report in vivo bioluminescence emission spectra or describe the color of bioluminescence only deal with the adults.’
- ‘Although its biochemistry is well understood and is applied for various scientific techniques, the survival value of bioluminescence to the organisms themselves often remains unclear.’
- 1.1 The light emitted by organisms such as fireflies and deep-sea fishes.
- ‘This suggests that directed bioluminescence and the transmission of bioluminescence through gut walls are more important than ambient light for detecting animals at mesopelagic depths.’
- ‘With transfected cells grown as solid tumors in vivo, the bioluminescence light is emitted shortly after systemic administration of luciferin.’
- ‘At 150 meters below the ocean surface, all is dark - until the submersible, Alvin, descends into a firestorm of bioluminescence produced by barely visible sea creatures.’
- ‘Examples include incredibly sensitive eyes - designed to pick up even the faintest blue glow of another animal's bioluminescence.’
- ‘It's been pretty well established that some squids use bioluminescence to communicate.’
- ‘However, bioluminescence, which is quite rare on land, is found at all depths in the sea, and ranges from a steady glow to flashes of varying duration, frequency and intensity.’
- ‘If the source is a bioluminescent searchlight, the ideal reflectance depends on the irradiance of the bioluminescence striking the organism relative to the background radiance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.