One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fuel derived directly from living matter.
- ‘Analysts predict the development of a diversified energy system, including wind and solar power, hydrogen fuel cells, biofuels, and the earth's own heat.’
- ‘Organised by the Green Party, Wednesday's conference in the Seven Oaks Hotel looked at biofuels and the need to decrease our dependence on fossil fuels in line with Ireland's commitments to EU directives and the Kyoto Protocol.’
- ‘The interest in biofuels to replace fossil fuels has led to the suggestion that GM herbicide-tolerant oilseed rape and sugar beet could both be used improve production efficiency.’
- ‘An EU Commission action plan on alternative fuels for transport identifies biofuels as the most realistic substitute for conventional petrol and diesel in the short term.’
- ‘In New Zealand, vehicle emissions contribute more than 16 percent of our total greenhouse gas emissions, so replacing even a few percent of fossil fuels with biofuels would help our emission levels.’
- ‘But for biofuels to play a key role in a new carbon-free energy future, policy makers - both in the North and South - must ensure that biofuels are produced in an environmentally and socially friendly way.’
- ‘Soot is a product of incomplete combustion, especially of diesel fuels, biofuels, coal and outdoor biomass burning.’
- ‘The U.S. Department of Energy aims to replace 30 percent of the liquid petroleum transportation fuel with biofuels by 2025.’
- ‘But can biofuels really replace petroleum products?’
- ‘‘Biomass can also include biofuels, gaseous fuels for engines and turbine applications,’ says Evald.’
- ‘The Prime Minister's called oil company chiefs and fuel retailers to a meeting next week to discuss the outlook for petrol prices and boost the consumption and production of biofuels such as ethanol.’
- ‘The decision came as demands increase for the development of biofuels because of soaring fuel prices and the threat facing the country's sugar beet industry.’
- ‘Issues like the introduction and use of biofuels in our national fuel mix become far more relevant in terms of keeping the pressure off the prices a little bit.’
- ‘This is one of the reasons why I believe, in common with legislators in most other Western countries, that we need to be determinedly looking at alternative fuels, both extenders and new fuels and that includes biofuels.’
- ‘In addition, the incentives for alternatives - such as hydro, solar, nuclear and - crucially biofuels - grow exponentially.’
- ‘High fuel duties, which have increased transport costs, should be frozen and biodiesel and other biofuels made exempt from duty if the Government is serious about encouraging the use of environmentally-friendly fuel.’
- ‘Tackling climate change - for example, substituting five per cent of fossil fuels with biofuels could lead to around one million tonnes of carbon saving by 2010.’
- ‘Meanwhile, the European Commission has proposed new legislation to promote the use of alternative fuels for transport, starting with the regulatory and fiscal promotion of biofuels, such as biodiesel and bioethanol.’
- ‘All of the emerging technologies - including wind, solar, geothermal, biofuels, fuel cells and fusion - have a niche to fill in the composite of our energy needs.’
- ‘The existing power grid might allow local hydrogen generation by electrolysis for use as a transportation fuel along with biofuels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.