Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of compounds occurring mainly in citrus fruits and black currants, formerly regarded as vitamins.
- ‘Herbal treatments, such as ginkgo biloba, soy lecithin, grape seed bioflavonoids, sweet clover extract, evening primrose and fish oil haven't been proven to offer long-term solutions.’
- ‘For example, if your diet is deficient in vitamin A, vitamin B complex, vitamin C, bioflavonoids or vitamin E, a heavier than normal menstruation could result.’
- ‘Plus I took high doses of vitamin C and bioflavonoids.’
- ‘Naringin, a bioflavonoid predominant in grapefruit and other citrus fruits, has been found to scavenge free radicals, therefore it may also reduce radiation-induced damage.’
- ‘My recommendation for the average patient is to take vitamin C along with bioflavonoids.’
- ‘Previously collectively referred to as vitamin P, bioflavonoids enhance vitamin C absorption.’
- ‘This liquid extract, which contains many beneficial compounds like bioflavonoids, is easy to use.’
- ‘She also discusses the benefits of antioxidants, bioflavonoids, vitamins, liver-cleansing nutrients and botanicals, and phytoestrogens to help support the body in perimenopause and menopause.’
- ‘Not only do bioflavonoids increase vitamin C's effectiveness, but at least one of them - quercetin - also lowers release of histamines by as much as 96 percent, according to a recent Japanese study.’
- ‘Vitamin C and bioflavonoids, taken daily, help to prevent colds and flu.’
- ‘Consider antioxidant supplements such as resveratrol, grape seed extract, quercetin, pycnogenol or citrus bioflavonoids, as well as beta-carotene and vitamins C and E. And drink red wine in small quantities.’
- ‘Finally, I recommended nutritional antioxidants such as vitamins A and E, zinc and bioflavonoids, which also aid in decreasing inflammatory complex and increasing tissue regeneration.’
- ‘When purchasing a vitamin C supplement, look for one that contains bioflavonoids, which improve the uptake of vitamin C.’
- ‘To relieve pain and inflammation, take 1,500 mg of calcium gluconate and 5,000 mg of vitamin C with bioflavonoids (or until diarrhea starts, called bowel tolerance) for a day or two.’
- ‘A daily multivitamin with bioflavonoids, biotins, vitamins A, C, D, E, and copper, manganese and zinc is a good start, but most important is a diet rich in essential fatty acids.’
- ‘Internally, the natural antihistamines in vitamin C and bioflavonoids decrease swelling.’
- ‘Appropriately dubbed phytonutrients (‘phyto,’ meaning plant), these nutrients have names like bioflavonoids, polyphenols, and carotenoids.’
- ‘Two of its chief ingredients are vitamin C and compounds known as bioflavonoids, both of which seem to have the ability to help fight off infections and maintain the health of the membranes that line the throat.’
- ‘Citrus bioflavonoids are also available as supplements.’
- ‘While researching the biological combustion processes, the Hungarian Nobel Prize Laureate biochemist Albert von Szent-Gyorgyi found that bioflavonoids improved the absorption of vitamin C as well as protecting it from oxidation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.