Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The study and application of electronics in medicine and biological processes.
- ‘While biomedical and life sciences applications accounted for 99% of the biosensor and other bioelectronics market in 2003, their marketshare is projected to slip slightly to 97% by 2009.’
- ‘The development of DNA detection by electronic amplification is expected to be critical to the field of bioelectronics and have applications in the computing, gene analysis, tissue matching, and forensic fields.’
- ‘Leading medical research into bioelectronics is focusing on diagnosis, detection and monitoring of medical conditions.’
- ‘Future applications of bioelectronic systems may include computation devices and prosthetic units.’
- ‘The need for biosensors in this field must be analyzed more critically, to assess in which direction the developing biosensor technology can be most effectively aimed and which areas need a more focused approach from basic research in bioelectronics.’
2The integration of biological principles in electronic technology.‘the impact of bioelectronics on computer hardware’
- ‘Waguih Ishak, director of communications and optics research at Agilent Technologies (Palo Alto, CA), sees the growing number of elderly people and advances in nanotechnology and bioelectronics as driving forces for photonics.’
- ‘The emerging field of Bioelectronics seeks to exploit biology in conjunction with electronics in a wider context encompassing, for example, biological fuel cells and biomaterials for information processing, information storage, electronic components and actuators.’
- ‘A recent application of bioelectronics is the design of systems that use organic molecules to form electronic circuit elements that detect and quantify target molecules.’
- ‘Also discussed are design criteria for organic and polymeric intelligent materials and the control of a two-dimensional protein molecule array for bioelectronics.’
- ‘Current breakthroughs in nanotechnology promise significant advances in bioelectronics.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.