Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The design and construction of computers using biochemical components.
- ‘He currently works for European Molecular Biological Laboratory in Heidelberg, Germany, in the area of biocomputing.’
- ‘This autonomization of DNA with respect to information means that the genome itself can be regarded as a biological computer - something demonstrated in non-biological uses of DNA in biocomputing, for instance.’
- ‘They are difficult creatures to grow in a lab, so being able to collect them from the ocean helps his research - research that one day could allow for such ‘natural batteries’ to be incorporated into biocomputing functions.’
- ‘Biocomputing is an interdisciplinary research area which links biology, computer science and engineering.’
- 1.1An approach to programming that seeks to emulate or model biological processes.
- ‘Research areas include: adaptive agent simulation; adaptive computation; biocomputing; and social networks modeling.’
- ‘With this interpretation of biocomputing the complicated ethical questions connected with concepts like artificial life and intelligence are not dealt with.’
- ‘The Biocomputing Group at Wayne State University investigates biological and biomolecular information processing.’
- ‘A bevy of activity in biocomputing is concerned with the formal representation and reasoning about biological pathways.’
- ‘From sub-molecular level up to ecosystems, the BioComputing Group models biological information processing to gain insight in its concepts and to transfer those to applications.’
- 1.2Computing in a biological context or environment.
- ‘An expert in computational biology is moving to Canada to take up a new chair in biocomputing, specializing in bioinformatics, at Wilfrid Laurier University.’
- ‘The book is an essential source of ideas, discoveries and references for academics in biocomputing, bioinformatics researchers and computer scientists.’
- ‘Even the name of the field varies: Bioinformatics, theoretical biology, biocomputing, or computational biology are just a few of the terms used.’
- ‘While its main task will be elucidating the complex structure of proteins, Makoto Taiji, chief of Riken's biocomputing team, believes it will also shine in nanotech: designing materials atom-by-atom.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.