Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A microchip intended to function in a biological environment, especially inside a living organism.
- ‘If you are a company, and you are 15 percent more efficient because you use brain scanning and biochips, the next company will have to use it.’
- ‘With breakthroughs in biochips and brain imaging on the horizon, it might just be time to invest heavily in better, safer, non-addictive alternatives to today's recreational drugs.’
- ‘When data from advanced biochips and brain imaging are combined they will accelerate the development of neurotechnology, the set of tools that can influence the human central nervous system, especially the brain.’
- ‘These stories, set in a not-to-distant future, almost all revolved around biochips planted in people's brains and their relationships with other humans, machines and animals.’
- ‘Like a canary in a coal mine, the biochip will detect hazards, including biochemical threats.’
- ‘Hopefully, my talk on our emerging neurosociety and the important role that biochips and brain imaging will play in driving future societal change put this question to bed.’
- ‘The breakthrough, however, could come from the development of protein biochips for diagnostic use.’
- ‘As advances in brain imaging and biochips continue to expand our understanding of mental health, neurotechnology will make possible to develop neuroceuticals that can safely and effectively enhance human mental performance.’
- ‘To ensure American companies prosper in the coming years a focus should be placed on accelerating brain imaging and biochips technologies.’
- ‘As I mentioned in Biochips, Brain Imaging and Behavior, further advances in biochips will be needed before effective neuroceuticals can be developed.’
- ‘The convergence of information acquired from the whole biochip and advanced brain imaging technology will provide the resolution needed to develop new tools to influence human behavior.’
- ‘Scientists say related technologies could be applied to the improvement of laboratory techniques, the production of biochips and detection instruments, medical image analysis and the invention of new drugs.’
- ‘Recent innovations include a biochip that enables more than 25 diseases to be identified simultaneously from a drop of blood.’
- ‘Instead the biochip offered by this company is a simplified testing kit for Enterovirus 71, a deadly disease which claimed 64 victims during a 1998 outbreak in Taiwan.’
- ‘At the core of the biochip is an optical head slightly larger than a box of matches which has many of the functions of the sophisticated confocal microscope used by molecular biologists to investigate proteins and cell components.’
- ‘Once we have biochips and nanotechnology that are fast enough to adapt to the cancers faster than the cancers can adapt to each new round of drug treatment then it will be possible to cure cancer.’
- ‘As information from biochips and brain imaging technology becomes available it will be possible to diagnose mental disorders from the bottom up.’
- 1.1 A logical device analogous to the silicon chip, whose components are formed from biological molecules or structures.
- ‘But the development of an all-electric biochip has laid an important foundation for the pocket-sized laboratory.’
- ‘On the contrary, the three partners from research and major industry aim to pursue their successful collaboration on electronic biochip technology.’
- ‘The cost of biochips will decline even more rapidly because they will be the driving low cost product that will transform every industry.’
- ‘The biochips, used in biological computers will be capable of working in tandem with electronic circuits and perform tasks beyond the capability of present genre of computers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.