Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A biography or short biographical profile of someone.‘the latest in a series of unauthorized bios’
- ‘Clinton's bio, as I read it - and I'm about 300 pages in - is a new kind of bio, a Boomer bio of an American President.’
- ‘These days he's mostly an editor of anthologies, and I have spent too long driving him mad by forgetting to sign contracts or write amusing bios and anecdotes for him, for his books.’
- ‘I also have several bios / profiles from some of the writers.’
- ‘He also whips out some familiar tricks, like introducing a string of characters by rewinding their individual bios in two-minute flashback montages as Tautou narrates.’
- ‘The bios say she is 5ft 6in, but she seems much taller, her athletic figure - or perhaps her forceful personality - lending her extra height.’
- ‘If you want to know more about them, check out their official website, where you can see pictures, read bios, leave messages on their BBS and read their blog.’
- ‘Other special features include a brief biography of profiler Pat Brown, as well as cast bios that seem directly lifted from the Season One release.’
- ‘The first two bios in the series are available: Bo Diddley here, Chuck Berry here.’
- ‘There are 10 ‘Fighter Profiles’: text bios of actors appearing in the compiled scenes.’
- ‘Before I give brief bios of Robert and Mike, I thought I'd include some of the comments from readers on the Borden / Pearson showdown.’
- ‘But… well, she's either read my books wrong, or she was so busy trying to translate my bio into a series of how-to tips that she never read them at all.’
- ‘Every single member of the board is married with children, something which is specified in their bios - like a qualification.’
- ‘Also included are a filmmaker bio, a bio for Van Gogh, and a catalog of other discs from Docurama.’
- ‘It's not a biography (although a brief bio of Powell is included).’
- ‘The only extras are cast and crew biographies, and even for cast/crew bios, are pretty skimpy.’
Biology.‘I majored in bio and I'm waiting to see about med school’
- ‘I knew that I wanted a psychology minor but I was undecided between a chem or bio major.’
- ‘We know about immunology; Margaret took her bio class last term!’
- ‘I got the highest grade in my class in bio and business law.’
- ‘I believe (bio class was a long time ago) that cells can communicate chemically and tell other cells, "hey, join up here.’
- ‘My school encourages us to take bio, then chem, then physics, but because of our term system we can double up on sciences.’
- ‘She's a bio major trying to decide between pre-med and biomedical engineering.’
- ‘Grade 12 diploma marks arrived today and I pulled off a 91 in bio and a less-than thrilling 95 in English.’
- ‘If he sits behind you in bio, turn around and take a look.’
- ‘Even her lab partner in bio, who she had never hung out with outside of biology class, had given her a sad look and offered her 24-hour support.’
- ‘I have been very pleased with my experience as a bio major.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.