One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large outdoor board for displaying advertisements.
- ‘Adverts for outdoor pop concerts are plastered across billboards.’
- ‘Derelict and disused buildings are favourite targets, as are billboards, road signs and bus stops.’
- ‘He paid for advertising on billboards and in newspapers, the commissioning of opinion polls and a leaflet campaign.’
- ‘Forth's current marketing activity is based on billboards and bus advertisements.’
- ‘The one crane I saw in the streets of Baghdad was hoisting an advertising billboard.’
- ‘The charity is launching a hard-hitting campaign on billboards in Manchester.’
- ‘Stickers have also been printed with the same content as the billboard advertisements.’
- ‘The incredibly convoluted response would need a billboard, not a placard, for presentation.’
- ‘The cartoon featured a confused looking gent looking at a billboard advertising a horror film.’
- ‘Fifteen were chosen to be displayed as huge billboards on city-owned buildings around the city.’
- ‘Costly advertising on websites has been withdrawn and money spent on billboards and radio advertisements instead.’
- ‘National wants to take advantage of their billboard campaign and good recent poll results.’
- ‘I seem to remember reading about a Government plan to allow advertising billboards in rural areas.’
- ‘There are no electricity pylons to spoil the countryside, no roadside billboards.’
- ‘We pass a billboard that usually advertises clothes in packs of three or lean Sunday hams or children's bicycles.’
- ‘From the distance of the other side of the road it looks just like a regular advertisement on a billboard.’
- ‘The exhibition took the form of outdoor billboards and a series of postcards.’
- ‘Her stern face glowers down on them from buses, billboards and magazine advertisements.’
- ‘Officials have already opted to make more use of radio advertising, billboards and local newspapers.’
- ‘About a fifth of the billboards in St Louis displayed tobacco advertising.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.