Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to bile or the bile duct.
- ‘In primary biliary cirrhosis the bile ducts in the liver are attacked by the body's own immune system.’
- ‘Damage to the vasculature of the biliary tree can also induce significant bile duct damage.’
- ‘Her biliary tree is dilated with intrahepatic and extrahepatic biliary dilatation, and the common bile duct measured 11 mm.’
- ‘The biliary tract includes the gallbladder and bile ducts.’
- ‘The conclusion is made even stronger if the nature of the abdominal pain suggests that the liver, biliary tract, or pancreas is the source.’
- ‘The main sites of surgery were colonic/rectal, gastric, hepatic, cholecystectomy or other biliary.’
- ‘Motor dysfunction involving the gall-bladder and biliary tract may play a role in nonulcer dyspepsia.’
- ‘The ductal involvement is frequently patchy, in a pattern similar to the bile duct damage seen in primary biliary cirrhosis.’
- ‘In the case of pain arising in the pancreas or biliary tract this can be attributed to the fact that the release of enteric hormones in response to foods is slow.’
- ‘Ultrasonography is the best method for identifying gallbladder stones and for confirming extrahepatic biliary obstruction as dilated bile ducts are visible.’
- ‘Little is known regarding their expression in biliary tract and pancreatic carcinomas.’
- ‘In fasting, the motor functions of the stomach, small intestine and biliary tract exhibit a regular periodicity.’
- ‘Abdominal pain is the most common presenting symptom in patients with pancreatic or biliary tract cancers.’
- ‘Pain below the right rib cage, called biliary colic, is usually the first symptom.’
- ‘Effect of estrogen plus progestin on risk for biliary tract surgery in postmenopausal women with coronary artery disease.’
- ‘Freya Stratford had been seriously ill with the bile duct condition biliary atresia and doctors gave her just weeks to live unless a donor organ was found.’
- ‘The cause of obstruction was common bile duct calculi in 26 patients and biliary malignancy in 30 patients.’
- ‘Findings consistent with a partial occlusion of the common bile duct include delayed biliary to bowel transit.’
- ‘The body is usually able to get rid of it easily unless there is something wrong with your liver or biliary system (this releases bile to help with digestion).’
- ‘Carcinomas that arise from the biliary duct epithelium are rare.’
Mid 18th century: from French biliaire, from bile bile.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.