An atoll in the Marshall Islands, in the western Pacific Ocean, used by the US 1946–58 as a site for testing nuclear weapons.
1A very brief two-piece swimsuit for women.
- ‘She had long blonde hair tied up in a high pony tail, with jeans on and a gold bikini top.’
- ‘Its residents long for the freedoms they relinquished so many decades ago, and to join in the liberty and freedom of spirit represented by bikinis and Speedo swim-suits.’
- ‘After a swim, put on the wrap skirt over your bikini or swim suit, and go for a drink.’
- ‘The bikini bottom had strings that tied together at the sides to keep it on, and the bikini top was halter style.’
- ‘Julia pulled out a pink bikini top and a mini skirt with a tropical design.’
- ‘Walking hand in hand, we passed several other people on roller skates, in bikinis and swimming trunks, with shopping bags in their hands and all.’
- ‘I was wearing a plain black bikini top, with jean shorts over the bikini bottoms.’
- ‘Blending imaginative colour and functional elements, new bathing costumes and bikinis are spectacular eye-catchers.’
- ‘Many traditional Samoan villages ban beach wear such as bikinis and swimming suits.’
- ‘The look is long and lean; a mix of retro and ultra modern with crocheted bikinis, hole-infested frocks and horizontal striped tube knit dresses.’
- ‘I abandoned my shirt for my floral bikini top and my little white tennis shoes for sandals.’
- ‘Some of the great sparkling looks came in tiny swimsuits or two-piece bikinis studded with silver nail heads including crocheted white suits.’
- ‘All she could see though, was a fairly pretty girl wearing a tight mini-skirt and a white bikini top.’
- ‘A lot of hardy Scots braved what were chilly conditions and sported swimming costumes and even bikinis.’
- ‘I take two or more bikinis / swimming costumes when I go on holiday as its nice to change into a dry suit rather than sit around in a wet one and get all sandy.’
- ‘A girl in ripped up jean shorts and a bikini top came barreling out of the house and down the steps toward us.’
- ‘Both were dressed in mini skirts and tank tops with their bikini straps clearly visible.’
- ‘More fluid designs and flowers bloomed all over the catwalks, on everything from chiffon dresses and silk wraps to shirts, bikinis and kaftans.’
- ‘It may be winter outside, but Marks & Spencer is hotting up with fantastic bikinis, swimsuits, tankinis and dresses to flatter all.’
- ‘For example, in Japan fifty years ago it was considered vulgar to swim in a swimming suit but now bikinis are the norm.’
- 1.1Scanty underpants.
- ‘Try layering a swim short over a one-piece or opt for low, hipster bikini bottoms.’
- ‘Wear these Women's Panties, with their low-rise bikini design.’
- ‘As well as winning the bra, she was photographed wearing both it and a pair of Kylie-esque bikini pants in a national newspaper.’
- ‘Bikinis are a super comfortable medium coverage silhouette that wont show thru under heavier fabrics like denim or wool.’
- ‘A luxurious deep embroidery accents this string bikini adding a sultry feminine hue with dark contrast stitching in a botanical print throughout.’
1940s: named after Bikini, where an atomic bomb was exploded in 1946 (because of the supposed explosive effect created by the garment).