Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Skintight knee-length shorts made of a stretch fabric, of a kind originally designed to be worn by cyclists.
- ‘A woman whose bike shorts expose a large butterfly tattoo on her calf fills out paperwork.’
- ‘Crash Pads and ASI both make very effective underwear-style hip pads, which are like bike shorts with pads on the hips.’
- ‘I know I'm at the right place because the clotheslines are sagging with bike shorts and jerseys.’
- ‘On your mark, get set: adventurist Cathy Sassin talks about women's potential and why nobody should wear bike shorts.’
- ‘Suddenly, I realized how ridiculous I looked, how monstrously huge I was in my spandex bike shorts and oversized t-shirt.’
- ‘You wore bike shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish.’
- ‘Pick up several pairs of chamois or gel-padded bike shorts for your ride.’
- ‘His trepidation at disrobing completely in a residential neighborhood in 41 degree Minnesota fall weather to change into bike shorts was tempered by his desire to protect his area from the sure pounding it was likely to receive.’
- ‘Always wear a helmet, gloves, shatterproof sunglasses and padded bike shorts.’
- ‘"I'm wearing two pairs of bike shorts," Bart said, tugging on the shorts clinging to his long legs.’
- ‘I'm wearing a pair of beat-up running shoes and wool socks, with just a T-shirt and shorts over my bike shorts.’
- ‘I wear a bicycle jersey and bike shorts everywhere I go.’
- ‘My pair of sleek, stylish and always sexy Lycra bike shorts that I was sporting only weeks ago have been traded in for sweatpants and a fleece.’
- ‘A lunatic officer in bike shorts started yelling.’
- ‘The first Friday of biking group, I shyly wheeled my bike toward a group of women in helmets and bike shorts, welcoming one another like old friends, which they were.’
- ‘Your bike shorts, shirt and socks should all possess this feature - Cycling clothing really is about much more than a goofy fashion statement.’
- ‘I always found bike shorts, foundation garments, and the like a bit too heavy for me.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.