Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Skintight knee-length shorts made of a stretch fabric, of a kind originally designed to be worn by cyclists.
- ‘His trepidation at disrobing completely in a residential neighborhood in 41 degree Minnesota fall weather to change into bike shorts was tempered by his desire to protect his area from the sure pounding it was likely to receive.’
- ‘A woman whose bike shorts expose a large butterfly tattoo on her calf fills out paperwork.’
- ‘Suddenly, I realized how ridiculous I looked, how monstrously huge I was in my spandex bike shorts and oversized t-shirt.’
- ‘Pick up several pairs of chamois or gel-padded bike shorts for your ride.’
- ‘You wore bike shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish.’
- ‘I wear a bicycle jersey and bike shorts everywhere I go.’
- ‘A lunatic officer in bike shorts started yelling.’
- ‘I'm wearing a pair of beat-up running shoes and wool socks, with just a T-shirt and shorts over my bike shorts.’
- ‘I know I'm at the right place because the clotheslines are sagging with bike shorts and jerseys.’
- ‘Always wear a helmet, gloves, shatterproof sunglasses and padded bike shorts.’
- ‘Your bike shorts, shirt and socks should all possess this feature - Cycling clothing really is about much more than a goofy fashion statement.’
- ‘I always found bike shorts, foundation garments, and the like a bit too heavy for me.’
- ‘Crash Pads and ASI both make very effective underwear-style hip pads, which are like bike shorts with pads on the hips.’
- ‘"I'm wearing two pairs of bike shorts," Bart said, tugging on the shorts clinging to his long legs.’
- ‘The first Friday of biking group, I shyly wheeled my bike toward a group of women in helmets and bike shorts, welcoming one another like old friends, which they were.’
- ‘My pair of sleek, stylish and always sexy Lycra bike shorts that I was sporting only weeks ago have been traded in for sweatpants and a fleece.’
- ‘On your mark, get set: adventurist Cathy Sassin talks about women's potential and why nobody should wear bike shorts.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.