One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the large members of the cat family, including the lion, tiger, leopard, jaguar, snow leopard, clouded leopard, cheetah, and cougar.
Panthera and other genera, family Felidae
- ‘In the past, with greater tiger numbers, the big cats killed hundreds of people per year.’
- ‘I worked with the big cats, lions, cheetahs, and eventually the tigers.’
- ‘From there it was more big cats, with the pumas and lions.’
- ‘The group is currently working on gaining protection for the lands and developing corridors that suit species from big cats to tiny voles.’
- ‘But a new survey suggests that the country may now be home to wild leopards, pumas, and other big cats.’
- ‘Of all the big cats, the leopard is the most resourceful.’
- ‘The big cats you find outside Africa include tiger, jaguar, leopard, cougar and Iberian lynx.’
- ‘He later went to Southeast Asia to study big cats and other endangered large mammals, including clouded leopards.’
- ‘It boasts more than 500 species of birds and 200 of mammals, and there is even a chance of seeing that most elusive of big cats, the jaguar.’
- ‘The reason that this can happen is that both the lion and the tiger are big cats.’
- ‘She wants to end private ownership of big cats so that sanctuaries like hers will no longer need to rescue animals from poor living conditions.’
- ‘Boller estimates there may be as many as 400 to 500 lions, tigers, and other big cats in the Houston area alone.’
- ‘Researchers attribute the growing number of cheetah injuries mostly to an increase in big cats hunting on foreign terrain.’
- ‘The species deserve the same concern that many people give to whales, dolphins, and big cats, he says.’
- ‘The big cat - thought to be either a puma or a panther - has been blamed for mauling several sheep after being set loose by a rogue owner who faced prosecution once it was caught, police said.’
- ‘The burgeoning trade in bones and body parts for use in folk medicines threatens tigers and other big cats.’
- ‘It's not an uncommon fate for villagers who live alongside the big cats in India's tiger reserves.’
- ‘The big cats largely disappeared from their historic range north of the border because of development and hunting pressures.’
- ‘The expert team returns this year for a week of reports, following the progress of three families of big cats and watching the dramas unfold.’
- ‘Cougar populations dwindled until the 1970s, when the big cat became nearly extinct in the state.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.