One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having two functions.
- ‘To the best of our knowledge, there are no previous reports of this type of bifunctional photoactivator.’
- ‘Rather, the genetic and biochemical analyses suggest that Sun is a bifunctional protein.’
- ‘In maize endosperm the pullulanase-type DBE activity is thought to have a bifunctional role, assisting in both starch synthesis and degradation.’
- ‘Whether the functionally independent mutants are the result of mutations in a single bifunctional gene or two separate genes has not been determined.’
- ‘Consequently, these results demonstrate that CS and MeIQx have a bifunctional action, with similar induction patterns of specific CYP proteins, mutagenic activity and UDPGT activity.’
Having two highly reactive binding sites in each molecule.‘bifunctional enzymes retain stable levels of activity’
- ‘The interconversion of the bifunctional enzyme is catalyzed by cAMP-dependent protein kinase, which in turn is regulated by circulating peptide hormones.’
- ‘Epoxy compounds are highly reactive bifunctional alkylating agents, which may attack and bind covalently to DNA and cause mutagenic events.’
- ‘It has been suggested that bifunctional molecules like alcohol can penetrate into the hydrophobic core of lys modifying its structural and dynamic properties.’
- ‘The presence of bifunctional chitinase/chitosanase enzymes were only observed in the mycorrhizal part of the root system, showing the localized character of the induction.’
- ‘These results suggest that hexokinase is a bifunctional enzyme with catalytic and sugar-sensing activities in plants.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.