One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Having two faces, surfaces, or sides.‘bifacial solar panels’
- ‘Over the years, some of the most successful rituals at Rites of Spring have centered around such images: a wicker figure, the Maypole, a bifacial Goddess puppet, a gigantic multi-colored web, an earthen Great Mother protruding from the ground.’
- ‘Lest any reader miss the point, a depiction of the bifacial god appears throughout the book.’
- 1.1Botany (of a leaf) having upper and lower surfaces that are structurally different.
- ‘Secondary manoxylic wood is produced by a bifacial vascular cambium and surrounds each vascular strand.’
- ‘The primary vascular system consists of a eustele and a bifacial vascular cambium.’
- ‘A bifacial vascular cambium forming manoxylic secondary wood is also present.’
- ‘It possessed secondary xylem and secondary phloem, which were produced by a bifacial vascular cambium with ray and fusiform initials.’
- ‘Their internal stem structure is characterized by a eustele with endarch protoxylem, where a small amount of manoxylic wood is produced from a bifacial vascular cambium.’
- 1.2Archaeology (of a flint or other artifact) worked on both faces.
- ‘What he did find at the workshops were hammer stones, blocked-out bifaces, thinned bifacial blanks, and bladelet cores and bladelets.’
- ‘Excluded from the small tool category are hafted bifaces, hoes/adzes, large, ovate disk scrapers, chert hammerstones, larger chisels, wedges, and large bifacial knives/scrapers.’
- ‘Hence, when Smoky Hill jasper is present in substantial amounts in a collection, the bifacial knives are made primarily from it.’
- ‘This small-tool tradition excludes the better-known large bifacial tools of this period and all core tools.’
- ‘Formed artifacts are a broadly defined category including items ranging from tested raw material to formal bifacial implements.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.