Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Functioning in two directions.
- ‘However, the nature of the construct lends itself to a bidirectional measure: work interference with family and family interference with work.’
- ‘The positions of sequences encoding homeodomains are shown by bidirectional arrows.’
- ‘In order to provide stronger signals in both directions, a bidirectional amplifier is needed.’
- ‘The types of communication from one subsystem to another may be unidirectional or bidirectional.’
- ‘An edge, however, is bidirectional, meaning you can follow it in both directions.’
- ‘The integration of the two is quite good with regard to overall function and bidirectional data associativity.’
- ‘It is highly likely that the relationship is bidirectional, with drug use playing a role in the commission of crimes and with crime reinforcing drug-using behavior.’
- ‘The evidence for tidal influence arises from documentation of bidirectional cross-strata, tidal bundles, tidal rhythmites and periodic variation in foreset thickness.’
- ‘However, this leaves a problem, namely which gene in a pair of bidirectional protein-coding genes should we consider the sense gene and which the antisense?’
- ‘Paths through these networks are generally bidirectional, and the concept of a label must be abstracted to the particular technology being signaled.’
- ‘The link slave devices and the link controller include protocol logic for communication according to a bidirectional protocol.’
- ‘With programmability, bidirectional travel, speed, and accessories, the transport pallet can change paths with maximum flexibility.’
- ‘The device includes a therapy generator having a housing and electronics for conducting bidirectional communication with the patient.’
- ‘As Web traffic is real-time and bidirectional, for example, delaying is not really possible.’
- ‘A dedicated wavelength pair for bidirectional transmission serves each node.’
- ‘The much broader climate change claim is bidirectional, and can include such non-temperature-related changes as frequency of storms, and even both droughts and floods.’
- ‘This bidirectional approach to the data allows the investigation of important issues while maintaining the primacy of the actual data.’
- ‘Error prevention features cannot be implemented easily without bidirectional connectivity.’
- ‘Stabilizing selection may yield bidirectional effects because an average individual in a population may sometimes be above and sometimes below an optimum for a character.’
- ‘A single clone was then selected for complete bidirectional sequencing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.