Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who announces the bids and recognizes bidders at an auction.
- ‘Surfacing to the stage are two Southern bid callers, clad in leather, fringes, boots, and a cowboy hat and as cheerily comfortable as hosts of a television show.’
- ‘He also sits on the board of governors of the Institute, a nonprofit education and certification group, and he's a former state champion bid caller.’
- ‘Then Norman brings the bid to the attention of the auctioneer working as the bid caller on the podium.’
- ‘Dan is an outstanding bid caller as he was named State Auctioneer Bid Calling Champion.’
- ‘The chant is the auctioneer's calling card, and the good bid callers blend art and entertainment.’
- ‘I want to be the best bid caller in my trade association.’
- ‘Being a good bid caller itself will not take you to the top of sales performance.’
- ‘Therefore, there are no credentials required to advertise and hold oneself out to the public as a professional bid caller.’
- ‘Whether you're retiring, restructuring, settling an estate or just want to cash out, you need more than a bid caller.’
- ‘The novice, upon his arrival to a sale, experiences a flurry of confusing but interrelated and coordinated activities: sees eager bidders vying for the attention of the bid caller, notices several auction company employees fervently polling and motioning towards the crowd, and hears the sounds of a most unusual sequence of words coming from the lips of the attending auctioneer.’
- ‘Jeff learned some from his father, but like many bid callers, he went to an auctioneering school to polish his craft.’
- ‘He is an excellent bid caller and a great all-around guy.’
- ‘An auctioneer sells or offers to sell property at an auction as a bid caller.’
- ‘Besides being taught how to be a good bid caller, you will learn good salesmanship and the knowledge of values which are most essential.’
- ‘We are not just bid callers - we are Professional Fundraising Consultants and Fundraising Auctioneers!’
- ‘The bidder (first party) can make an electronic bid submission to the bid caller with the required document in PDF format.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.