One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small sturdy dog of a breed with a curly white coat and a tail that curves over its back.
- ‘If ever the greeting card industry needs a poster dog for Valentine's Day, there is no better candidate than the bichon frise.’
- ‘Lupine qualities are apparent in the Alaskan malamute, but unfathomable in the bichon frise.’
- ‘As soon as a young woman walking her bichon frise came by in the other direction, the men's chatter started up again.’
- ‘Today I watched a woman keeping an anxious eye on her bichon frise's bowel movements.’
- ‘The nine-year-old bichon frise became trapped and Mrs Black rushed to help.’
From French barbichon ‘little water spaniel’ + frisé ‘curly-haired’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.