Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An athletic contest combining two events, especially cross-country skiing and rifle shooting.
- ‘Eight biathlon events, 12 cross country ski races and three Nordic combined events were held on the 31 kilometer course.’
- ‘She turned to biathlon three years later after attending a regional biathlon camp.’
- ‘One of the most exciting events was the biathlon, which combines cross-country skiing with shooting at targets at a range of 50m.’
- ‘Although it will be the first time he has represented his country in athletics, he has been honoured in the winter biathlon, which incorporates shooting and cross country skiing.’
- ‘This event, a cross-country biathlon, starts with an 8: 00 a.m. registration.’
- ‘Encouraged by friends and family, she entered a local biathlon and found she still enjoyed the challenge of competition.’
- ‘The sport of biathlon combines the disciplines of cross-country skiing and target shooting.’
- ‘The biathlon shooting range is set up on the north-facing side of the stadium.’
- ‘Those who purchased the joint pass by October 31 will also receive a two-hour biathlon experience that includes range instruction, ammunition and rifle use at the Paralympic range.’
- ‘As in traditional competition, biathlon consists of cross-country skiing and shooting.’
- ‘He has gained provincial colours for athletics, cross-country, swimming, biathlon, triathlon, duathlon, cycling, gymnastics and tumbling.’
- ‘Stephen keeps up with his jogging, often once a day, and has made plans to return home for a fundraising biathlon in May.’
- ‘His strength has always been the skiing portion of biathlon, a tribute to the years he spent running and cross-country skiing.’
- ‘In an unprecedented effort, the channel will provide some form of coverage of almost every event including Nordic combined and biathlon.’
- ‘Cross-country skiing and biathlon (which combines cross-country skiing with target shooting on a 50m range) involves a great deal of fitness, coordination and balance.’
- ‘The biathlon works on a points system, similar to the decathlon, but instead of ten events, competitors only take part in a time swim and run.’
- ‘During the biathlon, participants shoot as they go through a snowshoe course.’
- ‘The event comprised cross-country skiing and the biathlon, which is a combination of cross-country skiing and shooting.’
- ‘The biathlon, he adds, has helped him ‘focus on the day-to-day things and not worry about things that are coming up in the future.’’
- ‘I've had a few bad incidents myself over my decisions to try ski jumping and the biathlon without any skills, experience, or the right equipment.’
1950s: from bi- two + Greek athlon contest on the pattern of pentathlon. Compare with duathlon.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.