One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flat bread roll topped with chopped onions.
- ‘Today I am trying my hand at a bialy recipe I first made two weekends ago.’
- ‘When in New York who can resist the chewy bialys and bagels?’
- ‘A passion for bialys, those chewy crusty rolls with the toasted onion center, drew the author to the Polish town of Bialystock to explore the history of this Jewish staple.’
- ‘I had a bialy with low-fat cream cheese and an iced coffee and a grilled chicken sandwich.’
- ‘I love bagels, but bialys are the real soul of that world.’
- ‘We even tried to make a few bagels and bialys with Washington water.’
- ‘We sat at the bar and ordered some coffee, poached eggs with pastrami for me, poached eggs with bacon for Maxence, a bialy each and a tiny tub of cream cheese.’
- ‘Onion soup is the gooey, cheesy mess it should be; baked shrimp scampi, the oily curls they shouldn't be; and the smoked-salmon tasting plate, what bialy lovers will want it to be (though be forewarned: You get toasted brioche).’
- ‘I was forced to develop this recipe when my source for bialy became unreliable. I had become addicted to these as breakfast food.’
- ‘Mark, for example, didn't give up his usual breakfast of cream cheese and lox, but he did replace the bagels with lower-calorie bialys.’
- ‘Since 1947, the store has captured the time-honored tradition of baking authentic, old-world bialys.’
- ‘Polish Americans have, in addition to the sausage, also contributed staples to American cuisine, including the breakfast roll, bialys, the babka coffeecake, and potato pancakes.’
- ‘This shop is now the only place in the world that concentrates on making authentic bialys.’
- ‘But bialys are one of those things that you want to eat right out of the oven.’
- ‘The bialy's turned out great. Light and airy with just a touch of chewiness to them.’
- ‘But this cream cheese wasn't going to be smeared on one of my legendary bialys.’
Yiddish, from Białystok, where such bread was originally made.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.