Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A member of an order of Theravada Buddhist nuns.
- ‘Women had more freedom and independence within the order of bhikkhunis than anywhere else in society.’
- ‘Likewise, the bhikkhuni order never made the demanding passage across the Himalayas into Tibet.’
- ‘Now it is a women's temple where between ten and twenty bhikkhunis live.’
- ‘The samaneri and bhikkhunis chose to wear purple robes which is a traditionally accepted forest color in Asia.’
- ‘The woman realized that she became a bhikkhuni only in her old age and that she must not be negligent, but must make use of the remaining period of her life to the utmost.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.