One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A gear working another gear at an angle to it by means of bevel wheels.
- ‘The tilting mechanism consisted of a large bevel gear segment bolted to the cross-head and positioned within the frame of the machine.’
- ‘The trucks have crown and bevel gear sets which are connected to the motors by automotive style driveshafts.’
- ‘The delivering program includes spur gears, bevel gears, planetary gears, and slewing gears, to name just a few.’
- ‘The propeller-shaft continues forward along the broken-open keel and back inside the wreck, ending in the engine room with a bevel gear.’
- ‘The drive is taken from a cross-shaft between the two - reduction and bevel gearing transmitting the power to a longitudinal shaft, in turn passing the drive to the axles, again through bevel gears.’
bevel gear/ˈbevəl ɡi(ə)r/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.