Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A sauce of butter cooked until golden or brown, usually flavored with capers, herbs, vinegar, etc.
- ‘Nothing simpler, to all intents and purposes, than preparing a beurre noisette and yet, it is a very difficult undertaking! How can we repeatedly obtain that colour, that aroma, that delicate taste?’
- ‘The wing of skate had received even more minimalist treatment; browned in a hot pan, baked for a few minutes then served with a beurre noisette and a state-of-the-art scallion mash.’
- ‘Their delicate flesh is delicious boiled until tender, then lightly dressed with a beurre noisette or a mustardy vinaigrette.’
- ‘In a small saucepan melt the butter and add a splash of soy sauce to make a beurre noisette.’
- ‘I had assumed that I would do the common preparation of a beurre noisette (literally hazelnut butter) and a side of those lovely broad beans cooked and drizzled with sea salt and extra virgin oil.’
- ‘Grilled sirloin or rib eye steak is served with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes, and lemon sole is pan fried with a beurre noisette.’
- ‘I like to serve the ravioli tossed in a sage-infused beurre noisette with shreds of fresh sage, butter and shavings of Parmesan.’
- ‘Here, after the truffle was sliced on our respective three dishes, a beurre noisette was dribbled on top.’
- ‘Cook to medium and finish in the pan with the thyme buds and cold butter, turning it into a beurre noisette.’
- ‘For instance, if you're cooking butter to make a beurre noisette, when it stops sizzling, it's ready.’
- ‘He serves meaty prawns in a beurre noisette that brings out the prawn's inherent sweetness and. punctuates that with luscious dates.’
- ‘We grilled two soles whole, while making a beurre noisette with capers.’
- ‘In French cuisine beurre noisette is butter heated until it is the colour of hazelnuts.’
- ‘Make a beurre noisette by heating 200g of the butter over a medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until it turns golden brown and has a nutty aroma.’
- ‘Recently I made a beurre noisette -- sauteeing butter until it was nut-brown -- then added lemon verbena for flavor.’
French, literally hazelnut butter.
beurre noisette/ˌbər nwäˈzet/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.