One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
preposition & adverb
- archaic term for between
- ‘We all know about pheromones, the chemicals that supposedly float betwixt us carrying certain messages, such as sexual availability.’
- ‘I hope that the following conversation betwixt some of my neighbours underscores my proposed scheme.’
- ‘I start from the premise that it is betwixt materiality and language that the dancing body is produced.’
- ‘Having ridden the old bike over 20 years and 10,000 miles I didn't even have to think when and how to change gear and could slalom betwixt taxi and bus with graceful and flowing curves.’
- ‘‘So let me get this straight,’ said I, squeezing the bridge of my nose betwixt two fingers.’
betwixt and between
informal Not fully or properly either of two things.
in abeyance, pending, ongoing, in the air, up in the air, open, still open, hanging fire, in the balanceView synonyms
- ‘Expectations are rising now, and people are kind of caught betwixt and between.’
- ‘A lot of my records are betwixt and between styles, and I kind of like that.’
- ‘In the course of my time here, I have found myself betwixt and between these two notions of education - public celebration or performance, on one hand, and private experience, on the other.’
- ‘Gone were those wide house-lined avenues and those maze-like tunnels betwixt and between them.’
- ‘Are you confident, or are you betwixt and between?’
- ‘It is another film this summer that is stuck betwixt and between.’
- ‘The chapter on clients and servitors is a bit of a weak link: the subjects are betwixt and between, and the account does little more than reproduce representative inventories which invite tedium.’
- ‘In terms of immigration, the president is somewhat betwixt and between.’
- ‘It ends up being a little bit betwixt and between.’
- ‘They seem firmly wedged between denial and anger - a betwixt and between state producing a sort of militant ridiculousness.’
Old English betwēox, from be ‘by’ + a Germanic word related to two.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.