One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A short-nosed rat kangaroo found in Australia.
Family "Potoroidae": two genera, in particular "Bettongia", and several species
- ‘At the other end of the scale from the six large types mentioned above are the rat/rabbit-sized bettongs, potoroos and rat-kangaroos.’
- ‘He thinks the rat kangaroo moniker has somewhat tarnished bettongs ' image.’
- ‘Though chiefly a root and fungus eater, today's rufous bettong (one of the smallest species of kangaroo) is in fact frequently observed to chew on animal bones.’
- ‘It has got wetland, it's got dry forest full of rabbits, bettongs, bandicoots, and there's lots of roadkill and sheep farming.’
- ‘Tragically though, sanctuaries like this are becoming the only place to see creatures such as bilbies, bettongs and bandicoots.’
Early 19th century: from Dharuk.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.