Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The act of gambling money on the outcome of a race, game, or other unpredictable event.‘there was a good deal of betting on the races going on’
- ‘There was some spirited betting on the outcome to the sixth race with steady support for at least four of the runners.’
- ‘From the 1930s the states in turn legalised state lotteries and off-course betting on horse races, and introduced casinos for continuous gambling.’
- ‘It was construed by others as a challenge to the institution of land markets understood as a lottery, a mode of betting on the results of future population growth.’
- ‘In these games the showdown is preceded by one or more periods of betting on who has the best combination of cards.’
- ‘Policy gambling (an illegal form of betting on daily numbers) similarly involved local syndicates.’
- ‘The impact from the government's lottery is illegal individual betting on the last two or three digits of the first prize of the lottery.’
- ‘There was also substantial betting on the result of the photo finish.’
- ‘There is some interesting betting on Saturday's semi-finals.’
- ‘The Illinois Racing Board has temporarily has suspended all live and simulcasting betting on some multirace wagers, including pick four and pick six bets.’
- ‘The NBA wouldn't even allow Toronto to have a franchise unless legal betting on NBA games was abolished in the whole province of Ontario.’
- ‘The betting on the booze front is that zoning will eventually be put into place in Pattaya entertainment venues.’
- ‘There is heavier betting on one-day matches because they are result oriented.’
- ‘Many hedge funds - which are in effect sophisticated ways of betting on the markets - have had a tough 2004.’
- ‘There was heavy betting on Cambridge, but the two crews collided, the race had to be restarted and Oxford won comfortably.’
- ‘There also is a mode where players breed, own, and train race horses, and there is a wagering mode where players will participate in all forms of betting on horses.’
- ‘The firm is betting on what it calls the industry trend away from track-based betting toward home-based wagering.’
- ‘The betting on the number is interesting to say the least.’
- ‘The two main allegations concern race-fixing and free betting on the sport.’
- ‘A U.S. Senate committee has approved legislation to halt all legal betting on college sports.’
- ‘How different is the betting on that game as opposed to the South Australian game?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.