Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Enter into a formal agreement to marry.‘soon I shall be betrothed to Isabel’
- ‘In the story about love, devotion and betrayal that spans lifetimes, Aida becomes the handmaiden to Princess Amneris, who is betrothed to Radames.’
- ‘Initially betrothed to Henry VIII's son Edward, the Scots' rejection of the match led to war with England and Mary's removal in 1548 to France and an eventual marriage to the Dauphin Francis.’
- ‘Hunt had always come across as such an earnest fellow, betrothed to his majesty's fleet.’
- ‘I know you're the Imperial Princess, betrothed to a Prince you've never met.’
- ‘He fell in love with a beautiful Bulgarian woman betrothed to a Turk.’
- ‘She says she will automatically become betrothed to the bachelor whose combat skills prove to be superior to hers.’
- ‘In fact, if I hadn't been in love and practically betrothed to Joshua, I could have considered marrying the prince, as scary as that sounds.’
- ‘Even his name sounds immaculate and fashionable, as if the love of artful sound had been sewn into his soul in the womb, betrothed to him like a keepsake.’
- ‘In a party scene, she toasts a young woman, newly betrothed to a naval officer.’
- ‘She remembered it as the place, on that fateful day, that she got betrothed to Gracchi.’
- ‘It seems hopeless, until Marc meets Lily, the oppressed, bitter girl, betrothed to Marc's prep school enemy.’
- ‘She learned that he was an only child, he had never been married or betrothed, and writing was his passion.’
- ‘Middle-aged Miss Witherfield, betrothed to this man, was well acquainted with his jealous temperament.’
- ‘Do you realize that you are the only Prydian heir not to be married or betrothed by his twentieth year?’
- ‘Unlike all of the other young women, Anne had never been courted nor betrothed to anyone.’
- ‘Ranma and Akane are still betrothed but not married, they're both still about high school graduation age, and many of the adventures and romantic entanglements are the same.’
- ‘Part of Cate wanted anyone but Genevieve to become betrothed to the Prince - she would hate to see anyone stuck with a vain, selfish person for the rest of their life.’
- ‘Before my tutor Catherine had came along I had wanted nothing more than to be betrothed and married.’
- ‘Jame, until now seemingly betrothed to his work, is unexpectedly hurt and later heartbroken at losing Vin.’
- ‘They seemed like a normal, homey pair until it was revealed that the 21-year-old actress was actually betrothed to this man 17 years her elder!’
Middle English betreuthe: from be- (expressing transitivity) + truth. The change in the second syllable was due to association with troth.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.