Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An adrenergic receptor in the sympathetic nervous system, stimulation of which results especially in increased cardiac activity.
- ‘Its most prominent actions are on the beta receptors of the heart, vascular muscles, and other smooth muscles.’
- ‘Each alpha and beta receptor elicits a unique response from different body organs when stimulated by catecholamines.’
- ‘Researchers would like to further their investigation into the role of the beta receptor by studying women already undergoing fertility treatment.’
- ‘Stimulation of a beta receptor causes muscle vasodilation, bronchial relaxation, and cardiac acceleration.’
- ‘Blocking the impact of norepinephrine by blocking beta receptors would, in theory, block the adverse affects of norepinephrine.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.