Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A fast-moving electron emitted by radioactive decay of substances. (The emission of beta particles was originally regarded as a ray.)
- ‘The weak nuclear force is involved, and the neutron is converted into a proton when the beta particle is emitted.’
- ‘A beta particle is an electron that could make it just a little way into the skin, while an alpha particle is a charged helium nucleus that will bounce right off of you.’
- ‘When this occurs, the electron shoots out of the atom and is called a beta particle, a type of radioactivity.’
- ‘Tritium has a half-life of 12.3 years and emits a very weak beta particle.’
- ‘During this process (mediated by a virtual W - particle) the nucleus expels a negative beta particle (electron or negatron) as radiation.’
- ‘Adding a neutron, which has one unit of mass, to 238 U gives 239 U, which decays rapidly to a new element by emitting a beta particle.’
- ‘The cobalt nucleus decays to nickel - 60 by emitting a beta particle and two gamma rays.’
- ‘Beta emissions involve the loss of an electron from the nucleus as a beta particle during the conversion of a neutron into a proton.’
- ‘Uranium - 238 emits an alpha particle and changes to thorium - 234, which then emits a beta particle to allow it to change to palladium - 234.’
- ‘The emitted beta particle travels through air at close to the speed of light.’
- ‘Tritium is a radioactive element that decays by the loss of a beta particle to become a helium - 3 isotope.’
- ‘When it decays it emits a beta particle and a gamma ray, leaving behind a protactinium - 234 atom.’
- ‘She got hit in the hip with a beta particle dagger, but it missed most major tendons.’
- ‘Next smaller in mass is the beta particle, which is identical in mass and charge to an electron.’
- ‘Its nucleus emits a low-energy beta particle, leaving behind an isotope of helium, helium - 3, that has a single neutron in its atomic nucleus.’
- ‘When a radioactive nucleus disintegrates by emitting an alpha or beta particle, it changes into a different nucleus - that is, one with a different number of protons and/or neutrons.’
- ‘When a nucleus decays, through the emission of either an alpha or beta particle, the resulting new nucleus is often left in an excited state.’
- ‘They were doing rather… sexual things to the corpse, and were sliding glowing beta particle knives across her limbs as they did so.’
- ‘A radioactive atom used in nuclear medicine that shows radioactive disintegration and emits alpha and beta particles or gamma rays.’
- ‘Its existence was suggested to explain missing energy and angular momentum when a beta particle was emitted from a radioactive element.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.