Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of the insulin-producing cells in the islets of Langerhans.
- ‘In the field of islet transplantation, an islet being a collection of beta cell and other hormone-producing cells in the pancreas, same story, the first success was achieved in St Louis in 1990.’
- ‘When a patient has beta cell defects, first-phase insulin secretion is impaired and eventually lost, which results in fasting hyperglycemia.’
- ‘Chapter Seventeen highlights the proposed mechanisms of beta cell destruction in type 1 diabetes by reactive oxygen species and the protective effects of a reduction/oxidation protein known as thioredoxin.’
- ‘Before diagnosis and treatment, the beta cell produces excess insulin to accommodate insulin resistance, but eventually the beta cell is replaced with amyloid, and insulin production declines.’
- ‘Levine and his San Diego team are the first to demonstrate a functional human beta cell line that secretes insulin in response to glucose stimulation both in the test tube and when transplanted into mice.’
- ‘Symptoms usually develop over a short period, although beta cell destruction can begin months, even years, earlier.’
- ‘However, this action is mediated through a different binding site on the ‘sulfonylurea receptor’ of the beta cell, and the drug has somewhat different characteristics when compared with the sulfonylureas.’
- ‘In all vertebrates insulin is produced by clusters of pancreatic endocrine cells, beta cells in the islets of Langerhans, which are formed by outpouching of the endodermal gut during embryonic development.’
- ‘Now there's a new drug, I understand - research on a drug that preserves the beta cell function.’
- ‘The problem in IDDM is the rapidity of beta cell destruction.’
- ‘One of NIDDK's goals for long-term diabetes research is to better understand the beta cell and how it regenerates.’
- ‘Another group of fish was treated with 350 mg/kg i.v. and was followed longer to determine whether beta cell necrosis eventually ensued and whether diabetes was transient or permanent.’
- ‘Combined with a beta cell growth factor called Btc, the gene therapy complete cured the mice's diabetes for at least four months.’
- ‘This phenomenon is thought to be related to the lack of beta cell priming.’
- ‘We will also transfect this gene into other non-islet cell lines to determine if this promoter can function in different tissues or is this tilapia insulin promoter beta cell specific?’
- ‘For years, scientists have known that single-gene mutations, most affecting beta cell function, contribute to rare forms of diabetes, including the six types of Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young or MODY.’
- ‘We could in theory diagnose the 8th beta cell adenoma of the pancreas in the world, but had no idea what to do for tonsillitis, the second most common disease of childhood.’
- ‘As an example, the beta cell of the anterior lobe of the hypophysis secretes adrenocorticotropic hormone, which stimulates the secretion of certain hormones from the adrenal cortex.’
- ‘Lean people with the disease had 41 percent less beta cell mass than did lean counterparts without diabetes.’
- ‘STZ, a methylnitrosourea with a 2-substituted glucose, causes beta cell necrosis and insulin-dependent diabetes in a wide variety of vertebrate species.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.