One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of drugs that prevent the stimulation of the adrenergic receptors responsible for increased cardiac action. Beta blockers are used to control heart rhythm, treat angina, and reduce high blood pressure.
- ‘Beta blockers are useful in these cases as they act to control ventricular arrhythmias; thus, if atrial fibrillation recurs after conversion to sinus rhythm, the beta blocker will help slow the ventricular rate.’
- ‘An 85-year-old woman who lives alone has a previous history of a minor stroke and has hypertension controlled with a beta blocker.’
- ‘He was already taking aspirin, a beta blocker, an ACE inhibitor, and a statin.’
- ‘However, use of diltiazem or verapamil with a beta blocker requires careful monitoring of the heart rate and blood pressure, as this combination has additive effects on the sinus and atrioventricular nodes.’
- ‘Vertiginous migraine headaches generally improve with dietary changes, a tricyclic antidepressant, and a beta blocker or calcium channel blocker.’
- ‘Shortness of breath while taking a beta blocker such as atenolol or metoprolol must not be ignored.’
- ‘Like most of my patients with those three problems, I gave myself two diabetes medications, a blood pressure drug, a beta blocker so my doctors would be meeting the standard of care for a heart patient, and a statin.’
- ‘These patients should be treated with a beta blocker or class I antiarrhythmic drug.’
- ‘No one on the beta blocker had a non-fatal heart attack, and only two died of heart problems.’
- ‘Until thioamide therapy reduces thyroid hormone levels, a beta blocker can be used to reduce symptoms.’
- ‘The ACE inhibitor reduced by 55 percent the risk of developing high levels of urine protein and the beta blocker reduced the risk by 35 percent.’
- ‘The beta blocker dose should be reduced if the decrease in heart rate is symptomatic or is associated with hypoperfusion or higher than first-degree atrioventricular block.’
- ‘For example, when you take a beta blocker, your heart rate may not increase in response to a low blood sugar level.’
- ‘Your doctor needs to review your medicines since atenolol is a beta blocker that can aggravate asthma.’
- ‘Studies have suggested that metoprolol, a selective beta blocker, improves left ventricular function and reduces mortality rates.’
- ‘A. Metoprolol is a beta blocker that helps prevent the heart from overworking.’
- ‘Patients with refractory headaches often require therapy with several agents such as a tricyclic antidepressant plus an anticonvulsant and a beta blocker.’
- ‘You may not be able to take a beta blocker if you have heart or lung problems.’
- ‘Patients with New York Heart Association class II or III heart failure should also receive a beta blocker (metoprolol, carvedilol or bisoprolol).’
- ‘When hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is identified, treatment with a beta blocker or calcium channel blocker can reduce cardiac contractility and limit heart rate during exertion.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.