Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or affecting beta receptors.‘sympathetic nerves that stimulate beta-adrenergic receptors’
- ‘The researchers' earlier experiments showed that disrupting the function of PI K preserves beta-adrenergic receptors on heart cells when they are chronically exposed to adrenaline and thus preserves heart function.’
- ‘The cardiac actions of beta-adrenergic stimulation are not affected by iNO.’
- ‘For beta 1 selectivity, a beta-adrenergic antagonist should contain a p-substituted aryloxypropanolamine pharmacophore.’
- ‘The use of beta-adrenergic blocking agents in the treatment of heart failure and left ventricular dysfunction has provided a significant improvement in survival and reduced the need for hospitalization for worsening heart failure.’
- ‘The effect may depend predominately on the blockade of central beta-adrenergic receptors.’
- ‘Stimulation of beta-adrenergic receptors on mast cells inhibits the secretion of inflammatory mediators.’
- ‘Patients taking certain medications, including alpha- and beta-adrenergic blocking agents, oxytocic medications, sympathomimetic agents, general anesthetics, and monoamine oxidase inhibitors are more sensitive.’
- ‘These include vesnarinone, beta-adrenergic receptor blockers, and calcium channel blocking agents.’
- ‘Melatonin is a hormone with multiple functions in humans, produced by the pineal gland and stimulated by beta-adrenergic receptors.’
- ‘In congestive heart failure, the beta-adrenergic receptor system fails to work properly.’
- ‘Over time, these over-excited receptors become desensitized to the effects of norepinephrine, largely due to the effects of a second molecule, beta-adrenergic receptor kinase.’
- ‘Beta blockers are also known as beta-adrenergic blocking agents.’
- ‘Some patients with life-threatening asthma do not respond to inhaled selective beta-adrenergic agents and subsequently advance to respiratory failure.’
- ‘Drugs that impair detrusor contractility and increase urethral tone include calcium channel blockers, anticholinergics, alpha- and beta-adrenergic agonists, narcotics, antidepressants, and antipsychotics.’
- ‘This effect was blocked by a monoclonal antibody to interleukin - 10, but not by antagonists to transforming growth factor-beta 1, prostaglandins, or beta-adrenergic agonists.’
- ‘Drug therapy includes aspirin, beta-adrenergic blockers, cholesterol-lowering agents and other anti-ischemic drugs that can ameliorate angina and improve the patient's quality of life.’
- ‘The present understanding of Anolis chromatophore control suggests that losers have either exhausted EPI needed to change the ratio of alpha- and beta-adrenergic receptor stimulation or that MSH may prevail.’
- ‘Patients taking beta-adrenergic blockers present a special challenge because beta blockade may limit the effectiveness of epinephrine.’
- ‘Recommendations for the use of beta-adrenergic blockers in the setting of acute myocardial infarction include the addition of a Class I recommendation for use of these agents in patients with non-ST-segment elevation infarctions.’
- ‘Stimulation of beta-adrenergic receptors results in a moderate increase in chloride secretion in isolated opercular membranes from seawater-adapted fish, and is associated with an increase in cAMP.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.