One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A male friend or relative chosen by a bridegroom to assist him at his wedding.
- ‘The best man and ushers could wear their own suits - not adding anything to the wedding bill.’
- ‘Every best man wants his golfing-drinking-belly-dancing extravaganza to be the most fun any stag has had.’
- ‘The film begins with Charles messing up being the best man at a wedding and then putting his foot in it at the reception.’
- ‘One I have witnessed at two weddings involves the best man giving out keys to all the men before the reception.’
- ‘The best man or bridesmaid act as the team runner and make sure everything is okay heading into the big day.’
- ‘Kayden had been the best man for Tyler at their wedding and had always been there for Tyler.’
- ‘One evening as I awaited trial, my brother asked me to be the best man at his wedding.’
- ‘I hadn't seen my oldest friend since being best man at his wedding.’
- ‘Maguire had swapped his armband for the best man role at a wedding.’
- ‘One would surmise that Holmes would get suspicious by the fourth or fifth time he was asked to present a ring as the best man.’
- ‘My best man at my wedding was my brother, but my other attendants were two groomsmaids.’
- ‘Ross questions his decision to make Joey his best man when Joey loses the wedding ring.’
- ‘He is accompanied by three friends, one of whom lost his best man to cancer at the age of just 39.’
- ‘Miles will be the best man at the wedding and has a wonderful gift in mind.’
- ‘This one ended up being directed at comforting a friend who had been insulted by the best man and was in tears.’
- ‘I recently went dry while giving a best man's speech at my friend's wedding.’
- ‘At the rehearsal dinner give the best man the envelopes for all fees due at the wedding.’
- ‘They had been close and Harold had been his best man at his wedding in 1942, a year after joining the RAF.’
- ‘Most of the school turned out to the wedding and it was her brother that was the best man.’
- ‘The match coincided with his brother Stephen's wedding, at which John was supposed to be the best man.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.