Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A list or collection comprising the best examples of something.‘foodies have flocked like sheep to this critic's best-ofs’[as modifier] ‘a best-of CD’
- ‘Witness ‘The Concept’, the first song on both Bandwagonesque and this new best-of.’
- ‘The Canadian version features a wealth of B-sides and best-ofs from their debut, which never saw release north of the border.’
- ‘With that knowledge, it's assumed one doesn't look at this as an album - like most best-ofs - but as an encapsulation of what this band did.’
- ‘And then, perhaps best of all, these 22 budget-priced best-ofs, that are about the best you can get.’
- ‘For this best-of, they've made the tongue into the number 40, added colouring based on an idea rejected for a lolly by Lyon's Maid, and let that stand.’
- ‘Hits and misses in the latest batch of best-ofs, reissues and rarities It's possible that even if you're a blues fan, you haven't heard of Ted Horowitz.’
- ‘This particular album is an odd beast from a marketing standpoint, playing like something of a best-of, as the band have taken the time to reexamine their back catalog and give some of it another go.’
- ‘Drop a best-of, naturally, and top it off with a cover.’
- ‘Like all Best Ofs, most of these will appeal to non-fans who havent got any in their collection.’
- ‘Think of this as a mixed CD and not a best-of, as many selections weren't singles or hits.’
- ‘Together, they make a worthwhile introduction to New Order - except that most of this material is available not only on albums but also on two previous best-ofs.’
- ‘The albums went out of print, and we sufficed with an aptly named best-of, Ear-Bleeding Country.’
- ‘Boston and Los Angeles Film Critics Check In With Their Best-Ofs for 2006.’
- ‘The final disc, Best of Cash on American, is just that: a 15-song best-of.’
- ‘Since our general hope is to make some of the blog's features more easily accessible than they've been, I'm pleased that we've now got our Best-Ofs in place.’
- ‘All the news agencies are starting to roll out their best-ofs for 2005.’
- ‘Well, I will sort of apologize to myself for putting these best-ofs up so far into the new year, but I'm kind of proud of myself for having managed to do it.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.