Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Most popular or favored.‘one of America's best-loved broadcasters’
best-loved, most-liked, favoured, dearest, treasured, pet, special, closest to one's heartView synonyms
- ‘The iconic British singer's weekly show will feature the world's best-loved songs, from the Fifties through to today.’
- ‘She is one of America's best-loved writers, and has published over 100 books.’
- ‘From Mary Poppins to Maria in The Sound Of Music, Julie Andrews is undisputedly best loved for her musicals.’
- ‘Don't miss this chance to see Oscar Wilde's best-loved comedy.’
- ‘The World Cup is Earth's biggest and best-loved sports event.’
- ‘Cordelia is the youngest and best-loved daughter of King Lear.’
- ‘He won the Military Medal, but was best loved for his ability to cook up "amazing" meals from nothing.’
- ‘In a country particularly in thrall to the cult of sainthood, St Padre Pio stands as one of Italy's most modern and best-loved saints.’
- ‘The Birds is certainly one of Hitchcock's best-loved masterpieces.’
- ‘From inauspicious beginnings, the 50-year-old has become one of the best-loved authors in the world.’
- ‘There's no getting around the fact that coffee's best-loved ingredient, caffeine, is a drug.’
- ‘In their day, these three were among the best-loved actors in their company.’
- ‘Kingsley wrote this, his best-loved work, for his youngest son Grenville.’
- ‘Throughout England he is best loved for 24 lines, "Daffodils", inspired by Dorothy's recalling how they danced along the banks of Ullswater.’
- ‘He starred in two of the best and best-loved sitcoms in TV history.’
- ‘The Wellcome Wing of the Science Museum is a major extension to one of London's best-loved institutions.’
- ‘He became one of the world's best-loved champions.’
- ‘This is an intriguing programme featuring global variations of the world's best-loved fairy tale, Cinderella.’
- ‘As Casablanca takes its place among Hollywood's most familiar and best-loved films, it shows that popularity breeds even greater popularity.’
- ‘The playful comedy is one of Shakespeare's best-loved plays.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.