One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Poisoning by beryllium or beryllium compounds, especially by inhalation causing fibrosis of the lungs.
- ‘Given this individual's occupational history, she was referred to our clinic for induced sputum analysis and for the beryllium lymphocyte transformation test, to rule out a possible misdiagnosis of silicosis / berylliosis.’
- ‘The diagnosis of berylliosis (beryllium disease) is based on the person's history of exposure to beryllium, the symptoms, and characteristic changes on a chest x-ray.’
- ‘Beryllium was used as an agent to prolong the life of fluorescent light bulbs in the 1930s but was found to be a cause of acute and chronic berylliosis in the mid 1940s.’
- ‘Ventilators can help patients with acute berylliosis breathe.’
- ‘Berylliosis occurs in both acute and chronic forms. In some cases, appearance of the disease may be delayed as much as 20 years after exposure to beryllium.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.