Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large dog with a black, white, and tan coat, of a breed originating in Switzerland.→ Bernese
- ‘Bernese mountain dogs are lovely to live with and fit in well with the family.’
- ‘At the beginning of the twentieth century the numbers had dwindled considerably and it was only through particular care in breeding that the Bernese Mountain dog was maintained.’
- ‘In the canine world, a blaze is a stunning showing of white fur on the chest of a Bernese mountain dog.’
- ‘Though appearing square, Bernese Mountain Dogs are slightly longer in body than they are tall.’
- ‘Nowadays, Bernese Mountain Dogs are sometimes harnessed to little wooden carts to enable them to give rides to small children.’
Bernese mountain dog/ˈbərnēz//-ˈnēs//bərˈnēz//-nēs/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.