Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[as modifier] The acyl radical —C(O)C₆H₅, derived from benzoic acid.‘benzoyl peroxide’
- ‘The half-life of ecgonine methyl ester is four hours and benzoyl ecgonine is about 6 hours.’
- ‘The screening test for cocaine detects benzoyl ecgonine, the major metabolite of cocaine.’
- ‘The final tests have shown that in various samples of prepared aconite, the aconine and benzoyl aconine were 1/2000 or 1/250 that of aconitine respectively.’
- ‘The second, with a Î’ max at 267 nm, corresponds to the benzoyl group of the diketone form.’
- ‘No indication was given of what the others were, but in 1899 Heinrich Dreser, head of the experimental pharmacology laboratory at Elberfeld, named them in a paper as propionyl, butyryl, valeryl, and benzoyl salicylic acids.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.