Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A white crystalline substance present in benzoin and other plant resins, and used as a food preservative.
- ‘Benzoyl peroxide rapidly decomposes into benzoic acid and hydrogen peroxide and is also safe.’
- ‘In a second method, toluene is mixed with nitric acid and oxidized to produce benzoic acid.’
- ‘In addition, probiotics exert protective effects through production of hydrogen peroxide and benzoic acid, which inhibit many pathogenic, acid sensitive bacteria.’
- ‘The most commonly found preservatives in the food samples were benzoic acid and sorbic acid.’
- ‘Compounds that protect against sun damage include such things as titanium dioxide, para amino benzoic acid, and benzyl cinnamate.’
benzoic acid/benˌzō-ik ˈasid/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.