A white crystalline substance present in benzoin and other plant resins, and used as a food preservative.
- ‘Benzoyl peroxide rapidly decomposes into benzoic acid and hydrogen peroxide and is also safe.’
- ‘In a second method, toluene is mixed with nitric acid and oxidized to produce benzoic acid.’
- ‘The most commonly found preservatives in the food samples were benzoic acid and sorbic acid.’
- ‘In addition, probiotics exert protective effects through production of hydrogen peroxide and benzoic acid, which inhibit many pathogenic, acid sensitive bacteria.’
- ‘Compounds that protect against sun damage include such things as titanium dioxide, para amino benzoic acid, and benzyl cinnamate.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.