Any of a class of heterocyclic organic compounds used as tranquilizers, such as Librium and Valium.
- ‘We're talking about benzodiazepines such as Valium, Normison and methadone syrup.’
- ‘Two of the best known and most widely used benzodiazepines are Librium and Valium.’
- ‘They also found that benzodiazepines or sleeping pills, were significantly associated with heartburn during sleep.’
- ‘Barbiturates, like benzodiazepines and amphetamines, are a large class of drugs.’
- ‘A group of tranquillisers called benzodiazepines including drugs such as Valium, Librium and Diazepam were often involved.’
1930s: from benzene + di- + azo- + epi- + -ine.