One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless volatile liquid hydrocarbon present in coal tar and petroleum, and used in chemical synthesis. Its use as a solvent has been reduced because of its carcinogenic properties.
Chemical formula: C₆H₆
- ‘City traffic is a significant source of pollutants such as sulphur dioxide, particulate matter, benzene, and carbon monoxide.’
- ‘The new targets relate to a number of chemicals including benzene, carbon monoxide and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.’
- ‘The alkanes are very poorly soluble in water but are soluble with many of the other organic solvents such as chloroform and benzene.’
- ‘Cholesterol is soluble in chloroform, ether, benzene, or hot alcohol and other organic solvents.’
- ‘Its most toxic ingredient is benzene, a volatile organic compound that increases the risk of cancer.’
Mid 19th century: from benzoic acid + -ene.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.