One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of the drug amphetamine.See amphetamine
- ‘I have to take a drug called Klonopin, which is like a Benzedrine.’
- ‘In the early hours of the morning, when everyone else was feeling tired, the Benzedrine clicked in and I could have gone on celebrating until dawn - it was my first and last experience of an ‘upper’!’
- ‘That evening John, high on Benzedrine, came home and told us about the horrifying, hallucinatory experience he'd had at the library.’
- ‘Devastated, he increased his intake of Benzedrine and Seconal to help him sleep.’
- ‘Hannah had fueled her body on nicotine, coffee, and Benzedrine in the past week; the abuse had taken its toll.’
1930s: from benzoic acid and ephedrine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.