One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality of being well meaning; kindness.
kindness, kind-heartedness, big-heartedness, goodness, goodwill, benignity, compassion, consideration, thoughtfulness, decency, public-spiritedness, social conscience, charity, charitableness, altruism, humanity, humanitarianism, philanthropismView synonyms
- ‘Any positive act of benevolence or good will is one that could be considered sacred.’
- ‘The disaster left the world in great grief, but it has responded with unprecedented benevolence.’
- ‘After all, how can we expect a person who is cruel to small creatures to show kindness and benevolence to his countrymen?’
- ‘As Confucius saw long ago, benevolence or concern for humanity is the indispensable root of it all.’
- ‘They have repeatedly given up their time to save lives and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their benevolence.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.